We finally finished up most of the renovation in our front family room back in the Fall but with all of the work we had going on with our rental house, I just never got around to showing you the updated reveal of the space. I am excited to finally share our Industrial Modern Family Room!
This post contains affiliate links which help to support this blog.
This is a sponsored post by Photowall.com but all opinions expressed are my own. Photowall.com graciously provided me with free product to review for this post and the opportunity to finish my project with style.
First of all let me remind you of what this sitting room looked like about 18 months ago. It had dark black rough wood paneling, dated carpet, leaking windows, and awful looking track lighting. You can read some of the before posts here and here and what inspired this makeover when a tree fell on our house here.
In the last 18 months we have completely transformed the look and feel of this very dated room.
So many of the pieces in this room have been updated, upcycled, remade, or just spit shined and polished. In the links below, you will see just how many DIY projects are sitting in this room and how it all came together.
Here is what we did:
- Had new skylight windows installed when the new roof was added.
- Had custom windows installed to replace the leaking and rotten windows around the fireplace.
- Leveled the floor and installed a light pecan colored laminate floor.
- Repaired the walls where needed from the water damaged and built new custom boxes around the skylights.
- Painted the entire room, ceilings, beams, and walls in many layers of white primer and paint. The color is Moon Beam by Behr.
- Took lots of breaks to work on other things.
Sometimes you just have to take a break during a long renovation project.
- Removed the dated track lighting and installed a new industrial inspired light fixture from Lamps Plus.
- My husband built a custom light fixture box for over the fireplace and updated the electrical outlets. The window frames on the mantel are from our rental house renovation.
- Upcycled our damaged master bath vanity into a custom cabinet with new hardware and a custom made top.
- Purchased new modern chairs from Wayfair in a soft blueish grey color.
- I attempted to make no sew pillows from dog print fabric purchased from a local fabric retailer.
- Purchased and installed two different area rugs from Rugsusa.com just to have one of my dogs chew holes in both of them. The grey one you see in the room is a temporary one.
- Painted a thrift store coffee table in this bright yellow color.
- I made some custom decor items along the way like this stenciled sign.
- Shopped at local vintage and rummage sales to accessorize and complete the art, furniture and lamps in the room.
- Cleaned and polished the 150 year old mantel.
This red oil lantern was one of my grandparent’s lanterns they used in the first years of their marriage. I have several of their old oil lanterns that I plan to pass down to my kids.
The mid-century inspired wood veneer vase was another DIY project I completed for this room.
Our once dark and dated family room now has a new Industrial Modern Design.
The design details of modern industrial decor is exposed beams and wood on the ceilings, textured walls such as wood or brick, the wonderful blend of woods and metals, and modern style furnishings. Our updated front family room is a colorful blend all of these elements with some family heirlooms in the mix and some whimsical details like the dog motifs.
The print below is one of my favorites from the Vitro Design Museum Collection showing a hundred years of modern chair designs. The two blue chairs in the room are two of my DIY projects that you can read here.
The ladder on the back highest wall is actually from my grandfather and estimated to be around 75 years old. It was too big and heavy for the whole ladder to fit on this wall so I hung the other half in our screened porch room. The ceiling height in this room is 17 feet.
A special offer from Photowall.com
A few weeks ago I was contacted by a representative at Photowall.com to review their products. If you have never visited Photowall.com before I can’t recommend them enough for some excellent and beautiful choices in canvas art and wall murals.
The first thing that caught my eye when I first visited their site was their amazing skylines of famous cities. Both in color and black and white. So on a whim I typed in Knoxville, TN and was so surprised that they actually had one. In the piece I not only can see the tallest building in the city which I used to work on the 19th floor, but also the outlines of the hospital my husband works at now. I knew THAT had to be the one to hang on my wall.
Photowall.com is giving my readers a discount!
Once I placed the order, I received an email that it went in to production that very same day! But it also arrived on my doorstep in three days. They have a great turnaround from order to delivery!
The canvas print came rolled up in plastic with the do it yourself frame kit. The kit came with some great instructions and visuals and I was able to put it together very easily in about 30 minutes.
The mix of colors in the print are perfect with the color scheme of my updated family room! Thank you Photowall.com for a great piece of art to complete my room.
Photowall.com is giving all my readers a 20 percent discount when you order on their site using the discount code modernnmonticellopwcampaign201
Honestly, I still can’t call this room completely done as I plan to sew some floor poufs, add more art and accessories and another modern chair in the future. Is any room ever done in your house?
Thanks for visiting my industrial modern family room reveal.
“In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice; In the morning I plead my case to you and watch expectantly.” Psalm 5:3