Each year I make a new DIY Spring wreath for my front door. I try to make them different each year but always in bright colored flowers and fun items. Making new wreaths is fun for me and I enjoy the process. However, during the height of the pandemic I struggled to be creative. This post is how I ended up remaking this wreath several times before I actually liked it.
This post contains affiliate links which help to support this blog if you were to purchase anything through these links, at no additional cost to you.
The struggle with this wreath was so real! I have taken it apart and remade it at least three times and it is still not how I envision it in my mind! But I finally got a version I could like and am willing to hang it up for a few weeks at my back entrance. Below is how I finally finished my pink and white spring wreath for this season.
I know I am not the only one struggling with lack of creativity and motivation during this quarantine. I start to make something and just can’t seem to keep the interest beyond the first steps. This wreath has definitely been a challenge for me this time around.
To be honest, these days I have wanted to just sit in my big comfy chair and cross stitch all day while watching Hallmark movies.
Not that it would be a bad thing, but I would either have some great finished pieces of cross stitch at the end of the isolation, or keep my blog going and keep the dogs walked on a daily basis. The last two won out.
Anyone who has visited my blog more than once knows that I enjoy making new wreaths for every season and holiday for my main entrance. So of course I planned one for this Spring as well that in my mind was pink and simple and was a bit different for me.
Instead of something I normally make with a wire wreath form and burlap or ribbon, I decided to make a grapevine wreath instead. Just something with a little bit more rustic, lots of full flowers – pink tulips – and a very simple bow.
I had a vision in my mind of what it would look like, and then it didn’t work out like I envisioned.
Thankfully with a grapevine wreath you don’t have to attach the flower stems with hot glue but can just insert the stems through the branches of the grapevine form.
Lots of big blooming pink and purple-ish tulips later and a simple bow, and I just didn’t like it.
Still not sure why, but it just needed something more.
Searching through my craft stash, I came across a small wooden, unpainted, bench I have had for years and thought – this will work!
I painted it in a shade of grass green and put it on the wreath with hot glue. Grass green is the only green color I had available in my stash during this time. Going to to the store for just a small bottle of paint wasn’t an essential errand so I used what I had on hand. I put the wreath together with the small little bench attached to it and just left it on the craft table for a few days just too finish it up.
But I still wasn’t crazy about this wreath.
A few days later I went through the stash of flowers we purchased for my daughter’s almost wedding in March (yes we had to move it to August instead) and added some simple little white floral stems to the wreath.
It was getting better.
The white flowers were an improvement so I left the wreath hanging up in our dining room for nearly two weeks.
Every day I would look at it and every day I would wonder why I didn’t like it?
It wasn’t that it was a bad looking wreath overall. It just wasn’t the look I had planned.
Maybe I just don’t like grapevine wreaths and never realized it? Maybe it really was the extra large pink tulip stems? I really wanted smaller ones but those were sold out.
This week I finally had enough.
At this rate it was going to be summer before I fell in love with this wreath, so I took it down and took it completely apart except for the glued on bench. Time to start over.
Sometimes you just have to start all over to get it right.
Pulling out more flowers from the stash of wedding floral we didn’t use, I started with white Ranunculus stems and greenery instead of the large pink tulips. I honestly think all along the large pink tulips just weren’t my thing.
Lesson learned from this project – when buying floral stems, if you don’t love them don’t buy them. I thought I could make them work with the idea in my head, and found out that just wasn’t the look I wanted.
The white flowers were finally the right look. I really like this version of the pink and white spring wreath after all, or at least enough to hang it outside at the door.
Sometimes you have to try several times to get the right look for a project.
I did use just a few of the pink tulips as accent colors to go with the pink bow. Since I am staying safe at home, a trip for a different color of ribbon was put on hold too. I used what I had on hand for this wreath, including the grapevine form. I bought it months ago and never did make the first wreath I had in mind for it.
Now, my entrance finally has a Spring wreath to greet just the delivery drivers who are the only people to show up at my house these days.
In the end, it is actually a pretty wreath and I still wanted to share it with my readers. I hope everyone enjoys this simple pink and white wreath and are encouraged to keep working at something until you like it.
Evidently the small birds seem to like it. I found evidence of the beginnings of a small nest in just two days after hanging it up. Got to love nature!
Pin For Later
Enjoy your day,
Proverbs 16:4 “The Lord has made everything for its purpose.”