I have heard that week 4 of the One Room Challenge can be the most chaotic, but this time around week 5 has caused me more stress than expected. This week it has been all about frantically rushing to the finish line and getting the painting done! #oneroomchallenge #bhgorc
When I left off at week 4, we were still struggling to pick the perfect shade of gray paint for the laundry room walls. I had purchased two slightly different grays from Behr called Natural Gray and Silver Bullet.
With the new brighter daylight LED light fixture installed, the Natural Gray turned a brown muddy color and the Silver Bullet looked too blue. We selected yet a third color from looking at the paint swatches and comparing it to the chip samples, called White Metal.
White Metal was definitely closer to our choice for a crisp silvery gray color. So we finally had a winner!
In a perfect dream situation of DIY design, we would have put that paint color on the wall by the next day and the sink would be installed and I would be just finishing up some of the little details of the design and breezing to the finish line.
Nope – that didn’t happen.
It took this weekend to finally get the painting all done!
The reality was that I was scheduled for some long days at work that week, my husband was on call at the hospital over the weekend and as the end of week 5 quickly approached we were still looking at paint swatches on the wall and ceiling dust on the floor.
Friday morning over my coffee, I was trying not to panic as I went through the list of what needed to be accomplished this weekend. After years of doing DIY projects, I knew we could pull this one off with progress photos to prove it before the posting deadline for week 6 but week 5 was going to be a problem to post about. Hopefully with no more delays or hiccups we will rush through the finish line with a totally complete room.
I may be posting this at the last minute but as you can see, we did indeed get the paint on the wall and the sink in place.
Planning the decal placement on the accent wall.
During the week I was able to work on a mock-up of where to put the decals on the accent wall. The first thing I did was to measure the entire wall again, and draw a scale elevation of the wall and tiny little scale replicas of the decals.
I cut the tiny little decals out and placed them around on the elevation until I found a pattern I liked to duplicate on the actual wall.
This may have taken some time to do, but at least it was better than applying the decals to the actual wall and not liking the pattern and starting all over.
So now I will give the fresh paint a couple of days to “cure” and next week you will see the decal pattern in the final reveal.
Be sure to visit all of the other talented blogger participating in this round of the One Room Challenge.
Mother of 3 says
That is a beautiful shade for the walls. I remember you were really struggling to pick something soft. I think you nailed it.
Thanks Joanne. This is the final week so I hope like the full reveal.
Looking good! Love the bright gray color!